This article about the Internet of Things and use of smart building technology is strata has been supplied by WBS Technology.
“Smart technology” is the use of devices that communicate with one another to streamline the performance of certain tasks. This concept, also known as the Internet of Things (IoT) is gradually transforming many processes and there are immediate benefits for strata and other facility managers available now as well as huge potential as new functionality is developed.
WBS Technology has been operating in Australia since January 2011 as a provider of quality, energy efficient LED emergency lighting and exit signs. As a leading Australian manufacturer, all our products are designed and developed in-house by our Research and Development engineers. They are stringently tested to ensure product reliability and longevity.
The Australian Standard AS2293 regulates emergency lighting to ensure it is installed in buildings in a safe manner and is regularly inspected to ensure occupant safety. The majority of the emergency lighting systems today require manual examination by licensed electricians every six months. This is labour-intensive, costly and prone to human error.
Building and strata managers and owners must trust the safety check has been professionally conducted without any transparency or validation. For example, there is a risk the tradesperson undertaking the testing may be influenced by wishing to sell replacement lights or that a light fails shortly after the six-monthly inspections is carried out.
The adoption of a reliable smart emergency lighting management system will minimise critical safety issues through automated monitoring, control and real-time alerts. However, at this time, due to the excessive hardware and labour cost requirements, only a small percentage of emergency lighting systems are networked via cables or Wi-Fi. Networks dependent on cabling require an upfront investment and ongoing maintenance costs while WiFi communication systems do not require cabling but tend to have limited coverage due to their low penetration qualities.
By contrast, WBS Technology’s innovative EMIoT system offers strata building managers an opportunity to turn their properties into smart buildings, with inexpensive smart building technology because the network is built on top of existing emergency lights. EMIoT emergency lighting upgrades require no cabling and no upfront payment.
Wireless sensors are embedded in emergency lighting to establish an IoT network providing complete building coverage with each exit sign or emergency light acting as a node in the network, passing information back and forth across a facility. This IoT network enables connected devices and systems to be remotely monitored and controlled. Strata managers can monitor and control their building using interactive web services.
The network has enhanced security using cutting edge technology and encryption protection for all critical systems. Smart building technology, in this case, the EMIoT system consumes less power than other communication systems and provides a higher penetration rate which allows for full coverage of buildings and it operates at a spectrum that is available at zero cost.
The Benefits of Smart Building Technology in Strata
EMIoT delivers the following benefits:
- The building is equipped with an open IoT network at minimal cost – The vision of a smart building system is delivered and property value increases.
- Transparent smart building management – Faults can be identified immediately, empowering building owners and managers to make data-driven decisions for energy saving, enhanced safety and operational efficiencies.
- Data – The EMIoT platform provides real-time insight into building operations and governance.
- Automated monitoring – The need for costly, regular servicing is eliminated as ensuring compliance and identifying faulty emergency lights and/or batteries is automatic.
- Peace of mind – Strata managers can be confident that the emergency lighting system is compliant with AS2293.2 automatic testing requirements.
- Drastic energy-savings through LED lighting and network dimming technology.
Potential Applications Making Strata Living Easier
Other potential applications using EMIoT include:
- Key tracking
- Water usage through checking for leaks and consumption
- Monitoring energy usage, outages and trouble spots
- Fire detection and assessing false alarms
- Automated locking/unlocking of doors
- Sensor-triggered lighting
EMIoT emergency lighting upgrades require no cabling and no upfront payment. A five-year service agreement offers further savings due to reduced cost of energy use and reduced time spent on testing, reporting and maintenance.
- Solar on Strata [Whitepaper]: Strata Energy News
- NSW: Q&A How to augment a 10 Year Capital Works Fund Plan
This post appears in Strata News #231.