- What’s mine and what’s common property?
- What is the Owners Corporation required to maintain?
Check your states tab for the latest information about Strata Maintenance and Common Areas. New information and links are added regularly. Be sure to check back to be kept up-to-date.
According to Strata Community Association (NSW), here is the definition of Common Property:
- Areas of a strata building or community which do not form part of a lot and that every occupier or owner shares. Common property may include gardens, fences, driveways and visitor parking.
If you have enjoyed this topic page, discover more great information in our other Strata Topics covered.
Emma Smythies, Bugden Allen Lawyers
Question: I want to purchase the roof space above my apartment to build another bedroom and the committee has agreed. What happens now and how do we work out the appropriate price to pay?
NSW Strata Window Safety
Peter Berney, Solutions In Engineering
Jun 2016: This edition of LookUpStrata’s Strata Snapshot Series, Peter shares his knowledge about:
- Why window safety is important
- Why the new window safety legislation has been put in place in NSW
- Who is responsible? The owner or the owners corporation?
- Why should owners corporations comply?
Most Recent Strata Maintenance and Common Areas Articles
- ACT: Q&A I Can’t Turn Off My Water. Who Pays for Repairs to the Stopcock? - Question: I'm unable to turn off my individual tap to the water mains. Who is responsible for calling the plumber and paying for the repair? Surely it is the owners corporation's responsibility.
- NAT: Defibs in Strata and Community Schemes – the Facts. - We believe Defibrillators should be common at any scheme because of the concentration of residents and the absolute difference they can make in the event that someone has a Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA).
Our articles and Q&As about maintenance and common areas have been arranged by State
Looking for Strata Industry Experts who deal with maintenance &/or are available to service common property in your area? Search within THE Strata Services Directory for the best list of contacts available.
Interested in being included in the Directory? Create your Directory Listing here.