- What’s mine and what’s common property?
- What is the Owners Corporation required to maintain?
Check your states tab for the latest information about Strata Maintenance and Common Areas. New information and links are added regularly. Be sure to check back to be kept up-to-date.
According to Strata Community Association (NSW), here is the definition of Common Property:
- Areas of a strata building or community which do not form part of a lot and that every occupier or owner shares. Common property may include gardens, fences, driveways and visitor parking.
If you have enjoyed this topic page, discover more great information in our other Strata Topics covered.
Emma Smythies, Bugden Allen Lawyers
Question: I want to purchase the roof space above my apartment to build another bedroom and the committee has agreed. What happens now and how do we work out the appropriate price to pay?
NSW Strata Window Safety
Peter Berney, Solutions In Engineering
Jun 2016: This edition of LookUpStrata’s Strata Snapshot Series, Peter shares his knowledge about:
- Why window safety is important
- Why the new window safety legislation has been put in place in NSW
- Who is responsible? The owner or the owners corporation?
- Why should owners corporations comply?
Most Recent Strata Maintenance and Common Areas Articles
- NSW: Who Owns the Structure When an Owner Attaches Items to Common Property - What happens when a lot owner affixes equipment or assets to common property? Would the asset, otherwise owned by the lot owner become part of the common property? Does it amount to trespass of lot owner’s airspace?
- NSW: Obligations in Relation to Mould in Apartments - From time to time, mould may be caused by moisture ingress from building or plumbing defects. When this occurs, in addition to having the mould cleaned, it is necessary to fix the cause.
Our articles and Q&As about maintenance and common areas have been arranged by State
Looking for Strata Specialists in your area? Search within our LookUpStrata Directory for the best list of Strata contacts available.
Interested in being included in the Directory? Create your Directory Listing here.