Check your states tab for the latest information about Building Managers. New information and links are added regularly. Be sure to check back to be kept up-to-date.
According to Strata Community Association (NSW), here is the definition of a Building Manager:
- The term Building Manager is often interchangeable with Facility Manager and Caretaker. A Building Manager (usually a company) is engaged by the owners at a general meeting by way of approval of a proposed contract or agreement. The service expectations can vary under these contracts, though generally, the expectation is for a suitably experienced person to be on-site to supervise activities relating to repairs and maintenance of common property. This can also include security and workplace health and safety.
If you have enjoyed this topic page, discover more great information in our other Strata Topics covered.
Frank Higginson, Hynes Legal
Why are Queensland Developers the only developers in any state in the world allowed to sell 25 year caretaking/letting contracts that must be paid for by new unit owners for the duration of the contract?
QLD: Terminating Management Rights Agreements
This edition of LookUpStrata’s Strata Snapshot Series, Mario Esera provides detailed information about:
1. Why is the process of terminating management rights agreements so difficult for body corporates?
2. What do you feel should be done to prevent these difficulties in the future?
Mario also discusses the steps involved in terminating, provides examples and talks about reasonableness.
Most Recent Building Manager & Caretaking Articles
- QLD: Can a body corporate ‘buyback’ a caretaking unit within its own scheme? - In certain circumstances, a body corporate may be in a position where it may wish to ‘buy-back’ the management rights and caretaker’s unit within its own community titles scheme.
- NAT: Finding Caretaking Solutions – Common Property Condition Reports - A common property condition report has become an effective tool to review the condition of the common property and the duties undertaken by the caretaker on a day to day basis. Any inspection is likely to result in some findings no matter how well the property has been maintained.
Our articles and Q&As about Managers & Caretakers have been arranged by State
Looking for Caretakers or Managers in your area? Search within our Strata Services Directory in the category Building Managers / Facility Management for the best list of contacts available.
Interested in being included in the Directory? Create your Directory Listing here.