This Media Release from 9 April 2020 confirming that the WA Strata Reforms will commence on 1 May 2020 has been provided by Landgate.
Strata reform update April 2020. We’d like to update you on the following:
1 May 2020 | Major reform to WA strata law will commence
Strata in WA is changing for the better with amendments to the Strata Titles Act 1985 now confirmed to commence on 1 May 2020.
The changes to WA strata law will modernise the State’s strata framework, making it clearer and fairer.
Those involved with strata properties and developments are encouraged to familiarise themselves with what’s changing and the associated timings. There are grace periods for some new requirements to ensure those affected have adequate time to meet them.
Helping you to prepare | Online resources and readiness sessions
Strata.wa.gov.au is the gateway to community information and support on WA strata reform. The website has been updated to now include:
- Support and resources – to feature new resources and FAQs over the coming month
- A summary of what’s changing – that you can download to easily reference, print or share with someone
- A timeline for change – showing grace periods for select new requirements.
Online guides and presentations – available late April 2020
Later this month, Landgate will publish the following new and updated strata resources:
- A guide to strata titles (updated)
- Guide to consolidating by-laws (new)
- Guide to resolving strata disputes (new)
- Forms quick reference guide (new)
- Transitional guide for strata titles scheme lodgements (new).
We’ll also release a series of online presentations on the following key topics:
- Consolidating by-laws
- Seller disclosure
- 10-year maintenance plan and reserve fund
- Resolving common strata disputes.
These presentations will substitute the content of Landgate’s April 2020 community readiness sessions which aren’t going ahead due to COVID-19. As such, they’ll include a Q&A component that we’d welcome your input on!
Frequently Asked Questions About the Strata Reforms now available
During our recent public consultation on the Strata Titles (General) Regulations 2019 we received many insightful questions from the WA community. Take a look at our list of FAQs here.
As always, we will continue to keep you informed of important developments via these email updates and strata.wa.gov.au.
Have a question or something to add to the article? Leave a comment below.
- WA: Reforms to WA Strata Legislation – As a Lot Owner, Should I Care?
- WA: What, When, Where – Maintenance Plans
- Major reform to Western Australian strata law starts on May 1, 2020
This post appears in Strata News #338.