The ACT Government has introduced the Solar for Apartments Program, offering apartment owners a chance to integrate renewable energy into their buildings. The Solar for Apartments initiative presents owners corporations in eligible apartment complexes with an opportunity to secure up to $100,000 in grant funds and a zero-interest loan for the installation of rooftop solar systems.
The Solar for Apartments Program is a joint venture, co-funded up to $3.6 million under the Solar Banks Initiative of the Australian Government and the ACT Government’s Sustainable Household Scheme. Chief Minister Andrew Barr expressed optimism for the initiative, noting that it would enable more Canberrans to access cost-effective, cleaner energy from solar, supporting the community’s transition to a low-emission future.
- Financial Support:
- Eligible owners corporations stand to receive up to $100,000 in funding.
- The financial support is evenly split between a 50% grant and a 50% zero-interest loan.
- Application Process:
- Owners corporations are required to submit applications to the Solar for Apartments program to access funding.
- The application process is designed to be accessible, providing a straightforward route for apartment complexes to adopt sustainable energy solutions.
- Impactful Partnerships: The program is supported by the Australian Government’s Solar Banks Initiative and the ACT Government’s Sustainable Household Scheme, indicating a commitment to promoting sustainable practices.
- Positive Environmental Impact: Minister for Water, Energy, and Emissions Reduction, Shane Rattenbury, underscored the program’s potential to help apartment residents reduce energy costs while contributing to the ACT’s clean energy objectives.
- Inclusive Financing: Brighte, the exclusive finance and administration provider of the ACT Government’s Sustainable Household Scheme, is extending financial support to apartments. Brighte Founder and CEO, Katherine McConnell, noted, “Brighte is proud to continue supporting the ACT Government’s nation-leading programs by extending finance to apartments, making sustainability more inclusive, affordable and accessible to everyone.”
- Reduced Electricity Bills: The program is expected to benefit over 2,100 households, potentially resulting in a 35% reduction in electricity bills for Canberrans residing in apartments.
- Community-wide Impact: The positive impacts of solar installations extend beyond individual households to the broader community, aligning with the ACT government’s commitment to being a global leader in climate action.
- Sustainability for All: The Solar for Apartments Program addresses a gap in access to solar power for apartment residents, fostering more inclusive and affordable sustainable living.
How to Get Involved
Owners corporations meeting eligibility criteria are encouraged to explore this opportunity. Detailed information on the Solar for Apartments Program and the application process can be found at Climate Choice website: Solar for Apartments Program.
The Solar for Apartments Program represents a significant initiative, enabling ACT apartment owners to actively engage in the transition to renewable energy. By participating, owners corporations contribute to a more sustainable and energy-efficient Canberra, aligning with broader environmental goals.
The LookUpStrata Team
This post appears in Strata News #674.
Have a question or something to add to the article? Leave a comment below.
- ACT: Common Property Boundary Lines – Class A and Class B
- ACT: Q&A Applying for alterations – Approving use of common property
Looking for strata information concerning your state? For state-specific strata information, take a look here.