This article about the new NSW building laws has been written by David Chandler OAM, NSW Building Commissioner at NSW Department of Customer Service.
Minister Dominello put forward the concept of establishing a ‘Strata Portal’ on the 16th July 2019. His announcement received a lot of positive feedback. Since then, there have been a series of roundtables with experts from across the strata sector to flesh out what a model could look like. It is clear from the roundtables that a strata portal could have a number of benefits including:
- Enabling authenticated communication from Government agencies to owners corporations
- Strengthening confidence in the integrity of the strata ownership model
- Consolidating core information about the state’s 80,000 plus strata schemes in one place, to enable government to better support strata owners.
Minister Dominello said, ‘As a Government we want to make things easier for people who live in strata. By unlocking basic strata information I believe we can help owners, tenants and prospective purchasers to make more informed decisions.‘
- The Service NSW Project Delivery & Enterprise Change team is currently piloting the new NSW strata portal with strata scheme secretaries and managers
- The Strata Portal is an online register that collects information from strata schemes across NSW
- The pilot runs until 30 June 2020 and you can use this link to Access the Strata Portal
- The pilot is not a finished product therefore your feedback on the experience is extremely important. Please provide your feedback by taking our short survey.
- If you would like more information about the pilot or for more detailed instructions on how to participate please email [email protected]
This project is part of a major digital capability expansion by the NSW Department of Customer Service to make NSW the best place in Australia to live and do business.
I encourage all strata scheme secretaries and managers to provide their feedback.
Related news on a better deal for NSW apartment purchasers and owners
In late 2019, the NSW government reinforced protections for NSW Off-the-plan purchasers. These protections were followed the by the passing of new legislation in June 2020 that will make the purchasing of new apartments in NSW a more assured experience for customers. Minister for Better Regulation and Innovation Kevin Anderson said: ‘These changes are vitally important for the NSW Government’s building reforms which aim to deliver greater protections for consumers, while increasing the transparency, accountability and quality of work in the sector.‘ These protections will restore confidence in the NSW residential market.
This post appears in Strata News #367.
Have a question or something to add to the article? Leave a comment below.
- NSW Government: Stronger protections for off-the-plan buyers
- NSW: Think strata construction is bad? Strata records are worse!
- NSW Fair Trading: Building industry reforms
- New NSW building law could be a game changer for apartment safety
David Chandler OAM
NSW Building Commissioner at NSW Department of Customer Service
Looking for strata information concerning your state? For state-specific strata information, take a look here.