This factsheet for number 2 of the Top 5 Useful Bylaws: Master Renovations By-law has been provided by Adrian Mueller, JS Mueller & Co. Check out the other 4 Bylaws here: NSW Five Most Useful By-laws.
Master Renovations By-law – Why?
- The Act divides renovations into three categories (ss. 108-110):
- Cosmetic work
- Minor renovations
- Major renovations
- Act contains very few rules for renovations
- There is a need to fill in the blanks in the Act and cover the field more comprehensively
Master Renovations By-law – What Does it Do?
- Covers minor and major renovations
- Sets out a procedure to follow to apply for approval to renovate
- Contains rules for renovations – before, during and after
- Delegates to strata committee power to approve minor renovations
- Includes a Short Template by-law for each specific major renovation (Annexure)
Master Renovations By-law – What Renovations Does it Cover?
- Useful for:
- Bathroom renovations
- Kitchen renovations
- Air-conditioner installations
- Changing floor coverings
- Other internal renovations
- Pergolas + awnings
- Solar panels
Master Renovations By-law – Approval Process
- Process for approval of minor + major renovations:
- Owner’s application for approval – prescribed form
- Documents to be included in application (e.g. expert reports)
- Owners corporation approve or reject
Master Renovations By-law – The Rules
- Rules before renovating
- Prior notice to owners corporation
- Council approval
- Expert reports
- Rules during renovations
- Licensed contractors
- Proper and competent work
- Timeframe for completion
- Work Hours
- Work methods
- Rules after renovating
- Completion notice
- Expert reports
- Enduring obligations
- Maintenance + repair
- Compliance with the law
A Master Renovations By-law – Pros
- All rules for renovations in the one place
- Relieves strata committee from having to formulate rules for renovations
- Avoids separate by-laws and general meetings for minor renovations
- Provides a template by-law for owners to complete for major renovations
- Adds to the statutory list of minor renovations
- Streamlines and simplifies the renovations approval process
- NSW: 5 Most Useful By-laws: 1. The Cost Recovery ByLaw
- NSW: Q&A Are there template renovation bylaws available?
This post appears in Strata News #240
This article has been republished with permission from the author and first appeared on the JS Mueller & Co Website.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is provided for your personal information only. It is not meant to be legal or professional advice nor should it be used as a substitute for such advice. You should seek legal advice for your specific circumstances before relying on any information herein. Contact JS Mueller & Co for any required legal assistance.