This article discussing the best thing about Garnishee Orders has been provided by Adrian Mueller, JS Mueller & Co.
Have you enjoyed this article? If you would like to be kept informed about strata matters, click here to subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
Why do we love Garnishee Orders so much?
Because Garnishee Orders are the most effective way to recover outstanding levies.
So, what are Garnishee Orders?
- A Garnishee Order is an order from the Court ordering someone else to pay us money on behalf of the debtor
- They are issued against someone who we know is holding money for the debtor or owes money to the debtor. We can garnishee:
- A bank account if we know the whereabouts of their bank account
- Their wages if we know where they work
- Rent from their investment unit (not necessarily the unit in levy arrears)
When can we issue a Garnishee Order?
- Garnishee Orders can ONLY be issued after we have obtained Judgment – they are one of the ways we can enforce Judgment and are the BEST option available
How can you help?
- To help us recover your outstanding levies faster as part of your matter instructions, if known, always provide the following details:
- Their bank details
- Their employment details
- Any of their investment properties
So next time you provide a brief on a levy recovery matter don’t forget to provide those extra little details.
Find out the full details of the new “Levy Collection Laws“.
This post appears in Strata News #171.
This article first appeared on the JS Mueller & Co Website.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is provided for your personal information only. It is not meant to be legal or professional advice nor should it be used as a substitute for such advice. You should seek legal advice for your specific circumstances before relying on any information herein. Contact JS Mueller & Co for any required legal assistance.