A NSW lot owner would like to know if placing child window locks on plantation shutters complies with the NSW window lock legislation. Anthony Shakar, ASQB Window Safety provides the following response.
Question: Is it possible to comply with window lock legislation by installing window locks on the plantation shutters inside the window, rather than on the window itself?
Answer: It’s a common occurrence for window safety locks and plantation shutters to be incompatible with each other.
Yes, technically speaking it is possible to modify a plantation shutter so it acts as a fall prevention barrier.
To meet the fall prevention legal requirements as set out within the Strata Schemes Managing Regulation – Child Window Safety the plantation shutter must;
- have a childproof locking system that requires disengagement to swing/ slide open
- louvers must not have spacing greater than 125mm
- be capable of withstanding 240 newtons of applied pressure
However, while requirements 1 and 2 (above) can be easily met, most plantation shutters will fail to pass the capability of withstanding 240 newtons of applied pressure. This doesn’t reflect on the quality of shutter, they are simply not designed for such use.>/p>
Generally speaking, it’s a common occurrence for window safety locks and plantation shutters to be incompatible with each other. Often the void between window and shutter is limited, making access for lock installation and key use impossible.
There are however window safety devices in the market that accommodate for such occurrences. The Track Lock by Remsafe is one such device that is an ASQB go to in these situations.
This post appears in Strata News #268.
- The Guide to Window Locks Legislation NSW
- NSW: Windows and Window Safety Devices in Strata Schemes: What is required and can the owners corporation absolve itself of its responsibility?
- NSW: Annual Window Safety Compliance Reinspection – Minimising the Risk of Non-Compliance
- Window safety device requirements
T: 02 9785 7893
Have a question about child window locks for plantation shutters or something to add to the article? Leave a comment below.